Zayn Malik doesn’t have the greatest track record of being the perfect guy. He has made a few poor decisions, and definitely has a lot of controversial moments throughout his life, but he’s only human! Sure, when he decided to quit One Direction, we all cried a little — okay, we cried a lot — and we were mad for a period of time, but he actually dealt with the situation really well. If you don’t count the Twitter fights with Louis Tomlinson, which we’re so NOT cool.
Despite his bad choices, way too many tattoos (we had to say it… we just did) and getting engaged to Little Mix’s Perrie Edwards at a very young age (according to some people), Zayn has a lot of great qualities. Seriously, if you put aside his recent wild acts you’ll start to remember all the great things he has done. Trust us, he is actually a really good role model when you take time to think about it. See what we mean below:
1. He had enough strength and courage to stand on his own two feet. Even if you are still bummed about the British singer leaving One Direction, taking the leap of faith and doing his own thing was pretty impressive. That being said, we’re still hoping for a reunion tour in the future!
2. The moment when he was a total gentleman before getting engaged. Before he asked Perrie to marry him, he asked her mom’s permission and also talked to his parents. PS: He’s also bought Perrie’s mom a house. Talk about a good guy.
3. When he became the poster child of a movement to stop British Muslim women from becoming Jihadist brides. The anti-terrorism group uses Zayn as an example to prove that there are options besides leaving the country for these girls and eventually turning into Islamic State brides in Syria. If this doesn’t show how much of a role model he is, we don’t know what does.
4. His constant love of family needs to be recognized. As one of four kids, Zayn is SO close to his family. He has taken his mom as his date to numerous award shows and he is constantly spending time with all of his family members, which is adorable.
5. Zayn is actually really mature when it comes to taking control of his own life. When he walked away from 1D his remarks about the decision were powerful and heartfelt, which we totally admire. He not only apologized for his choice to leave, but he also pointed out that it was about him being happy and healthy and leaving 1D was right for him.
6. He’s not afraid to defend himself. People can be SO cruel, but Zayn doesn’t let them get him down. Instead he speaks the truth and tweets his real thoughts. Basically he is a total badass.
Don't know why I'm being attacked for defending myself , people got it twisted! I love my fans ?! Every single one of you x
— zaynmalik (@zaynmalik) May 7, 2015
7. Religion really means something to him. There are a lot young people who aren’t into religion, which is totally fine, but Zayn is the exact opposite. He is proud to be Muslim and he has defended his beliefs time and time again. He previously told the Mirror, “I believe that your religion should be between you and whoever your belief is in.”
8. Romance runs deep. The 22-year-old singer definitely in love and he LOVES to share his feelings with the world. Why can’t every guy be this romantic and honest?
I'm 22 years old… I love a girl named Perrie Edwards. And there's a lot of jealous fucks in this world I'm sorry for what it looks like x
— zaynmalik (@zaynmalik) March 18, 2015
9. His pre-gig ritual is actually really healthy. Some people do crazy things before hitting the stage or dumb things, like drinking a lot of alcohol, but the England native is way cleaner than that. In fact he has to brush his teeth before heading out on stage… he is very superstitious about it. His dentist would be so proud!
10. When he got real and called out everyone for some of today’s bizarre lingo. Seriously, “On Fleek” is beyond strange and makes no sense. #JustSayin.
What does ON FLEEK mean ? Like seriously
— zaynmalik (@zaynmalik) February 7, 2015
11. Singing isn’t Zayn’s only talent. He is a creative person in more ways than one, he even draws his own sketches all the time. His constant ability to use these talents and express himself are things we should all try and do on the daily.
12. Despite rumors of him being a womanizer, he’s actually not superficial when it comes to women. He has previously listed intelligence as a the most important thing he looks for in a girl. Plus, he once told The Hits Radio that a girl’s best feature is her eyes. Swoon.
13. All the times he has proven he’s the ultimate BF. Zayn and Perrie have had their fair share of ups and downs, but the former boy band member clearly cares for his fiancee. Come on, he took her to Paris for their one year anniversary for goodness sakes. #RelationshipGoals.
14. He’s an animal lover. Okay this doesn’t automatically make him a good role model, but any guy who loves animals is alright with us.