Meatless Monday: 14 Savory & Vegetarian Shiitake Mushroom Recipes
With their chewy texture and meat-like savoriness, shiitake mushrooms—aka Black Forest or Japanese mushrooms—pair well with light, crispy spring vegetables like asparagus and tktk and creamy whole grains like quinoa or risotto'd rice. My new favorite shiitake recipe is the simple and awesome shiitake bacon (the ‘shrooms shrivel up so nicely that you can use them like bacon bits on tops of salads, soups and dips). Here are more than a dozen vegetarian recipes featuring shiitake mushrooms, to help you find your favorite. And in case you need more reason than utter deliciousness to start eating more shiitake, here are few of this fungi's health benefits:
- Shiitakes are one of the highest non-animal food sources of iron.
- Animal studies have found shiitakes to have antitumor, cholesterol-lowering and virus-inhibiting effects.
- Recent studies have shown shiitake mushrooms may help protect against heart disease by preventing too much immune cell binding to the lining of blood vessels.
- They're an excellent source of vitamins B2, B5 and B6 and a very good source of vitamin D.
- Shiitakes are also high in dietary fiber; protein; a wide variety of phytonutrients and the minerals manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, copper and zinc.