Top 10 Hearty Trivia Facts…
I am bringing you a list of 10 Hearty trivia facts. Some are oh so crazy and off the wall, others are expected. Enjoy! And don't forget to check out all of my fellow science and health bloggers “top 10 lists”. I think it is a fun way to relay information, both clinically and personally…
Top 10 Hearty Trivia Facts
1. Author of Frankenstein Mary Shelley kept her dead husband's, poet Percy Shelley, heart wrapped in silk until she died. Imagine how that smelled!
2. You can purchase the largest model of a human heart for a small price of $5795.95 US dollars. Um huh, I said five thousand. It is 8 times the size of an anatomical heart at 100x90x70 cm. Wow, that is a lot of money!
3. The smallest person believed to ever have open heart surgery was just over 25 weeks gestation and about 1.4 lbs. This was back in 2002 and I think it to still be the smallest baby to have open heart. I searched and searched. If you know different, shoot me a hello.
4. Throughout your life your heart contracts about 70 times a minute and pumps about 5 liters of blood each minute. That is amazing!
5. You heart muscle, or myocardium, is unique to just that… your heart. It is not found anywhere else in your body!
6. When you are in love, you really do “feel” with your heart. Yes, it is true. Your heart, more than any other organ, feels and senses emotions and responds accordingly. Everybody now… awwwww!
7. During an average lifetime, your heart will beat over 2.5 billion times. Seriously, that is one hard working muscle!
8. About 1.2 million Americans have heart attacks every year and over 400,000 of them will never make it to the hospital.
9. The word heart, meaning soul or feeling, is termed cor in Latin.
10. The cardiovascular system is my favorite by far, and always has been. Anatomy, micro, nursing, physiology, biology, chemistry, psychology… the heart is so fascinating in every capacity! I am absolutely amazed by it and at times can not even wrap my brain around the fact that it's muscle never, ever gets a break and keeps us going from the time we are born till the time of our death. Wow!!!