Tequila And 9 Other Things You Wish Helped You Lose Weight
When I saw this headline earlier in the morning, my pupils turned into little shot glasses for a moment: “Sugars Found In Tequila May Lower Blood Glucose Levels, Help People Lose Weight.” Then I read a little bit about the study behind the claim and realized the truth was a little less awesome.
Unfortunately for the party animals among us, the study in question does not imply that you should bring a thermos full of Jose Cuervo to the gym. Basically some new research presented at the American Chemical Society annual meeting suggests that the alleged benefits can be attributed to the sweetener that comes from the Agave plant which is used to make tequila. Agavins are apparently both non-digestible and can act as a dietary fiber, which contribute to lowering glucose levels for those with diabetes and aid in weight loss endeavors. According to researcher Mercedes G. López,
“We believe agavins have a great potential as a light sweetener…They are sugars, highly soluble, with a low glycemic index and a neutral taste…This puts agavins in a tremendous position for their consumption by obese and diabetic people.”
The researchers studied seven groups of mice, each group was fed a specific diet (plain water, or water supplemented with agavins, aspartame, glucose, fructose, sucrose, or agave syrup). The mice were subject to daily weigh ins and weekly glucose level checks. Compared to the other groups, the mice that were fed agavins “ate less, lost weight and their blood glucose levels decreased.”
While it’s all well and good to judge agavins as a superior artificial sweetener, it’s kind of a leap to say that drinking tequila can help people lose weight. Wouldn’t it be fantastic if drinking margaritas was a weight loss method? I’d be all about it. Tequila cleanse!
1) Alcohol- Some people’s excess calories tend to come from drinking empty calories, if only drinking wine or tequila to your heart’s content truly helped boost weight-loss.
2) Imagination- I’d look exactly like a Victoria’s Secret Angel if envisioning myself a certain body meant one could achieve it.
3) Being Agitated- I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if outrage burned calories, I’d never want to diet again.
4) Friendship- Wouldn’t this world be wonderful if getting in shape required just a few belly laughs with your buddies?
5) Wanting It- It’s like imagining being thin, but hungrier (for thinness).
6) Cake- Oh frosted dessert, why must you be so fat laden and carby?
7) Pancakes- Breakfast cake of champions, baby.
8) Ice Cream- If ice cream helped you lose weight, ice cream cleanses wouldn’t be such a ridiculous idea.
9) Cake- Good enough to be on here twice.
10) Laying Down- Screw the gym and screw the paleo diet; let’s eat cake in bed.
Via University Herald//Images via Shutterstock