Here’s What To Have In Your Fridge On Sunday If You Want To Eat Healthy All Week, According To Lorna Jane
If you want to be successful in any aspect of life, you have to plan ahead and that is absolutely true when it comes to food and healthy eating. Lorna Jane Clarkson, founder of activewear line Lorna Jane, makes a trip to her local farmer’s market on Sunday mornings to collect the best in-season fruits and vegetables, as well as visit her local butcher and fish shop for good quality protein. When she gets home, she plans and prepares food for the week ahead based on the healthy ingredients she finds.
This usually involves making a big batch of soup and protein balls, whipping up a few of her favorite dips for snacks, and popping her favorite smoothie ingredients into zip-lock bags, then into the freezer, so breakfast is ready to blend at a moment’s notice.
Below is a list of the good stuff you should be stocking up on so that you always have healthy and nutritious foods available.
· Protein: Lean cuts are winners. Try grass fed beef, organic chicken or turkey, wild salmon and tuna. Free-range eggs, tofu, chickpeas and quinoa are also excellent sources.
· Vegetables: Stock up on anything green and non-starchy. Jane Clarkson always has baby spinach, asparagus, brussel sprouts, broccoli, kale and avocado in her kitchen. Tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and beetroot are also great to have on hand.
· Fruit: Opt for low sugar options. Think blueberries raspberries, strawberries, grapefruit, bananas and green apples. Jane Clarkson keep a couple of portions of fruit on me at all times so I’m not tempted to choose unhealthy options when I’m feeling hungry.
· Dairy: Jane Clarkson tries to eat dairy options that are cultured and high in protein. Her personal favorites are organic yogurt and cottage cheese.
· Overnight Oats: This is her favorite breakfast on the go! Simply add water to 1/3 cup oats in a mason jar, screw on the lid and pop in the fridge overnight. In the morning, just add your favorite toppings such as yoghurt, fresh berries or nuts and breakfast is served!
Pro Tip: Make sure you also have some herbs, spices and oils on hand to make your meals more exciting and a selection of raw nuts to snack right all week!
Happy healthy eating!
Photo via Lorna Jane