8 Ideas For Flawless Savory Oatmeal
Traditional sweet oatmeal and I have to talk. It's not as bad as it sounds! We aren't breaking up. I'll never forget the the times I ate sweet oatmeal with berries and agave nectar or the cozy winter mornings with pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar. I love you sugar, but I'm seeing someone else. We've been seeing each other on the sly.
It's not that the old trusty sweet breakfast goo wasn't doing it for me anymore; it's just that I got bored and needed to shake things up. Maple syrup and I are just on a break, we're not donezo for good.
Whether you're sick of seeing sweet oatmeal's saccharine face looking back at your from out of the bowl every morning or just want to celebrate how oats are a great vehicle for a wide variety of flavors, here are10 killer ideas for customizing your own perfect savory oatmeal breakfast:
- Salt N Pepper: Duh, I know. Think about pink or grey salt though. You can make this really special, if you really feel it.
- Cheese- Every kind of cheese, including American cheese food product singles, tastes good in oatmeal. I find myself going back to gruyere, brie and goat cheese
- Hot Sauce- Any kind you like. You know I'm hoarding Sriracha.
- Soy Sauce- Really, any kind of sauce.
- Egg- Throw an egg on that creamy bowl! There's basically nothing some runny egg yolk won't improve.
- Onion Family- Scallions, shallots, leeks, caramelized onions
- Greens- Try spinach, kale and all the classics. Oatmeal can turn cruciferous greens into comforts. And honestly, you can sauté them first, but tossing raw spinach into oatmeal and mixing it up, isn't half bad.
- Herbs- Rosemary, babies. It goes really well with gruyere and a poached egg.
Image via Shutterstock