Well Being

Why Only 3% Of Americans Have Healthy Hearts

By  | 

Why Only 3  Of Americans Have Healthy Hearts shutterstock 119311474 jpgThis is pretty shocking…according to a new study, just 3% of Americans have optimal heart health. Even if you think you’re doing everything right, check out the list of nine heart-healthy items and see where you rank–and why so many of us fall into the the other 97%.

Published in this week’s Journal of the American Heart Association, researchers evaluated heart health information from 350,000 Americans. Not only did they uncover the fact that just 3% met every single criteria for ideal heart health, but they also listed the states where those healthy folks were likely to live.

Overall, people in the Northeast and western states ranked the highest. The District of Columbia came in first with the most people at optimal health (which is surprising considering that it’s such a high-stress political area). Then, Vermont and Virginia. Meanwhile, those in the south tended to fare the worst. The states with the lowest heart health weren’t as surprising, with Oklahoma, West Virginia and Mississippi falling at the bottom of the list, in that order.

Wondering where you stand on ideal heart health? See how many of these nine criteria you meet:

— No high blood pressure

— No high cholesterol

— No diabetes

— Not overweight

— Not underweight

— Not obese

— Don’t smoke

— Do at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity or 75 minutes of vigorous physical activity a week

— Eat five or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day

Whew! What a list, right?

Out of the nine criteria on the list, how many do you meet?

Photo: shutterstock.com