News

James Franco Snubbed For Oscar Nom As His Sexual Misconduct Accusers Publicly Speak Out

By  | 
james franco

Getty Images

James Franco is not having a good Tuesday. The nominees for 90th Academy Awards were announced this morning and James Franco failed to land a nod for his performance in The Disaster Artist, despite winning the Golden Globe earlier this month. On top of that, two of the women who accused him of sexual misconduct, Sarah Tither-Kaplan and Violet Paley sat down with Good Morning America to elaborate on the allegations they've made against him and discuss why they decided to go public.

“James abused his power by exploiting the non-celebrity women that he worked with under the guise of giving them opportunities,” Sarah said. “Being an actor and filmmaker and working in the industry has been my dream since 5 or 6 and I knew that by coming forward I was risking my career.”

Despite her allegations, Sarah did say she thinks James Franco is “absolutely not a Harvey Weinstein,” adding that “he is not an unfeeling monster who has no sense of reality.” Instead, he created “exploitative environments for non-celebrity women on his sets.”

“It is a pyramid and at the top is rape and sexual violence and at the bottom are the other abuses of power that, when they continue to happen over and over, build and build and build and create a culture that allows the most heinous examples of sexual violence and misogyny and discrimination to happen. If we allow any of them, we’re allowing all of them,” she explained.

Now, that's a statement worth reading. Considering there is no excuse for the way James allegedly treated the women he worked with, Sarah was empathetic with her response. She went on to say that she would like to see James use his power to “give opportunities to women that are real and valuable and actually give them career advancement.” She also wants him to apologize.

After taking home the Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy award at the 2018 Golden Globes earlier this month, many thought the actor was on track to win an Oscar, too. But that all changed after five women came forward accusing James of sexual misconduct almost immediately after the trophy was in his hands.

James later denied the allegations, while simultaneously continuing to voice his support for the Time's Up movement, which aims to end sexual abuse and gender discrimination in Hollywood and beyond. “The things that I heard that were on Twitter are not accurate. But I completely support people coming out and be able to have a voice because they were unable to have a voice for so long, so I don't want to shut them down in any way. I think it's a good thing and I support it,” he said earlier this month.

However, it seems like his statement was not enough to stop the backlash from affecting his chances at an Oscar nod. Whether or not James will apologize to his accusers remains unknown, but if he wants a chance to clear his name and make amends like he says he does, then saying sorry and admitting actual wrongdoing is a start.

You can watch the full GMA interview with Sarah and Violet below:

comments