Prom is the most important rite of passage of your high school career. No pressure. That’s why we rounded up our favorite prom movies (slash scenes) for your viewing pleasure. And trust us, these films have got it all: the good, the bad and the ugly. Take a lesson from these unforgettable Hollywood prom nights so that, when yours finally arrives, you’ll know all the dos and don’ts to scoring an unbelievably fab prom night:
1. High School Musical 3 — Of course this one had to make the list! Where else can you find our fave blue-eyed beauty — Mr. Zac Efron himself — bustin’ out some pretty impressive dance moves. Okay, maybe they’re a little dorky, but he could totes make any dance move work! Besides Zac’s adorableness, with a little bit of popping and locking, the HSM crew reminds us just how important is to make prom “A Night to Remember.”
2. Mean Girls — Mean Girls is like one big roller coaster of emotions towards Cady. First, you start out loving her. Then, she turns into a Plastic and you kinda hate her. Finally, she snaps out of it and gets in the true spirit of prom, sharing her Prom Queen (or, well, Spring Fling Queen, technically) title with the whole class. And all it took was literally her entire grade turning on her and some self-evaluating to get there. You go Glen Coco Cady!
3. Never Been Kissed — Josie’s high school insecurities have followed her through her entire life, specifically her most humiliating experience to date: being stood up at prom. So obvs she’s totally paranoid when she has to go undercover as a high school student for a news story she’s working on. What starts out just as traumatizing as she had anticipated, somehow takes a surprising turn. Maybe high school isn’t too bad after all.
4. Footloose — After a three-year small-town Georgia ban on dancing and singing, city boy Ren McCormack moves in and decides it’s time to really shake things up. Ren, along with the help of some loyal pals, are determined to throw a totally kickin’ coutnry prom night. Better grab some cowboy boots and prepare for little bit of a hoedown coming your way!
5. Teen Spirit — Ah, the classic tale of high school’s most popular snob working some makeover wonders on a nerdy — but super nice — student. Only this time, it involves a fatal accident, ghosts and a heaven-hell ultimatum. Alright, so maybe not exactly the classic tale. But, after a prom night disaster leaves recently crowned prom queen Amber dead, an angel sends her on a last chance mission to right all her former wrongs and help the most unpopular student become the new prom queen. Challenge accepted.
6. Prom — Revolving around tons of different students, cliques, teams, and clubs, Prom gives the real high school feel. Everyone has their own concerns and stresses leading up to the big night, but the question is, when the much-anticipated night is finally here, will it live up to all the hype?
7. Drive Me Crazy — Nicole and Chase probs could not be on anymore opposite ends of the high school spectrum. But, after experiences heartbreaks, they join forces and scheme together to make their exes’ jealous. They make some unexpected discoveries about high school stereotypes and their own feelings, and just in time fort he big school dance. Get the popcorn and get ready to have a little old school Britney sing-along!
8. Prom Night — Prom Night puts a whole new twist on having a killer prom night. Being pined for on prom night sounds like dream come true. Except for when the person pining for you is your creepy, convict teacher who escaped from jail and is on a mission to find you and will stop anyone that gets in his way. Needless to say, high school senior Donna Keppel has one heck of a prom night ahead of her.
9. She’s All That — When Zack’s snobby ex-girlfriend ends things with him right before prom, Zack decides he’s going to shake things up and steal her prom throne from her by transforming an unexpected candidate. We all know who we are voting for (even if not everyone else did)!
10. Pretty in Pink — Despite their high school hierarchical differences, Blaine and Andie can’t deny the feelings that they have for each other and decide to take their relationship to the next level. Unfortunately in the world of catty high school cliques, it may not be as easy as they thought. Will their relationship take a turn for the worse, or make it to the biggest night in their high school lives — prom.
11. 10 Things I Hate About You — Freaks, geeks, estranged siblings, and, most importantly, breaking out of your comfort zones, pretty much sums up this classic film. And what is a high school movie without some prom anticipation to really stir things up?