It’s easy to think celebrities’ lives are perfect. Fame, fortune, power — what is there to complain about? But for female stars like Selena Gomez and Sarah Hyland, health is a struggle that all the money in the world can’t help. From lupus to asthma, these are the chronic illnesses you didn’t realize some of Hollywood’s biggest female stars suffer from.
Please note: This list does not include the stars who have Celiac disease and/or gluten allergies.
1. Selena Gomez — Although the “Good For You” singer has never confirmed her diagnosis, her grandfather revealed that she was diagnosed with lupus “a couple of years ago” and went through treatment last spring. The announcement came after weeks of rumors that she was dealing with severe health issues. According to Lupus.org, the illness is a “chronic, autoimmune disease that can damage any part of the body (skin, joints, and/or organs inside the body).”
2. Sarah Hyland — In her years in front of the camera, Sarah has been very candid about her lifelong struggle with kidney dysplasia, where “the internal structures of one or both of a baby’s kidneys do not develop normally and fluid-filled sacs called cysts replace normal kidney tissue.” In 2012, the Modern Family actress told Seventeen that she underwent a kidney transplant thanks to her father donating one of his kidneys to her. Now that’s love.
3. Miley Cyrus — In addition to having a gluten allergy, MiCy found out she has hypoglycemia almost 10 years ago. In fact, it was her then-boyfriend Nick Jonas (who is diabetic) who decided to test her blood sugar after she had been getting sick on tour. While diabetes and hypoglycemia have a lot of similarities, Miley’s condition simply means her body can’t bring her blood sugar up to normal range fast enough and she must maintain a healthy diet to make sure she always has fuel.
4. Kim Kardashian — Basically everything about Kim Kardashian is perfect. From her hair and makeup to her clothes, she always looks flawless. But back in 2011, Keeping Up with the Kardashians cameras caught Kim discover that she has psoriasis, “a condition in which skin cells build up and form scales and itchy, dry patches.” The condition is genetic, but Kim didn’t realize she had the same thing as her mom because the symptoms were different for both ladies. Now, Kim uses a special airbrush spray to hide the red patches and makes sure to moisturize daily.
5. Lady Gaga — While Gaga said she doesn’t show “any signs [or] any symptoms” of lupus, she revealed to Larry King that she “tested borderline positive for the disease.” Unlike Selena Gomez who has to be treated for the condition, Gaga must simply “take good care of [herself]” and continuously get tested in the case that the symptoms ever begin presenting themselves.
6. Avril Lavigne — The 30-year-old singer has been very open about her battle with Lyme disease, a tick-born infectious disease that causes joint pain, flu-like symptoms, weakness in the limbs and more. Before she got her diagnosis (which took over eight months of various doctor’s appointments), Avril told People she “thought [she] was dying” because she “felt like [she] couldn’t breathe, couldn’t talk and couldn’t move.” Now, the singer is almost fully recovered and is back to focusing on her music career.
7. Ashley Olsen — Unlike Avril, Ashley has not confirmed her Lyme disease diagnosis, but reports say that she contracted the bacterial infection “several years ago.” Apparently, Ash didn’t get diagnosed until the “very late stages” so recovery is much more difficult.
8. Kristin Chenoweth — Kristin is known for her incredible pipes, so it’s pretty shocking to learn that she struggles with catching her breath during many performances due to her asthma diagnosis. There have been times that the Broadway veteran has had to leave the stage to get her inhaler because she can actually feel the breath leaving her. Wow.
9. P!nk — P!nk and Kristin share a lot of similarities — killer vocals, tons of energy and asthma. The “Try” singer was diagnosed with the inflammatory condition of the airways during her early childhood, just a few years after being born with a collapsed lung.
10. Lindsay Lohan — Lindsay has dealt with a lot of issues in her life, but one has nothing to do with a bad decision or silly mistake — her asthma. The actress’ mother told Vanity Fair that her daughter “has had bronchial asthma since she was 2″ and has had to be rushed to the hospital multiple times for asthma attacks. Most recently, Linds had to go to an NYC emergency room because the city’s high pollen counts made her condition flare up.