The Pros And Cons Of Ryan Lochte Playing Finnick Odair In Catching Fire
Until today, I thought the most shocking casting suggestion for the role of District 4 victor Finnick Odair in Catching Fire was Jesse Williams, and that's because he's not white. But as I was scrolling through Tumblr, I happened upon one blog that suggested an even more unbelievable Finnick: bro-tastic Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte. Tumblr user lillyluna wrote simply,
Ryan Lochte as Finnick Odair in the next Hunger Games movie. Jesse Williams didn't get the role, Tumblr, so you no longer have an excuse to be against this.
This is an opinion that's slowly moving through the waves of Tumblr, and which even popped up on Hello Giggles a few weeks back. (Bravo, ladies.) And though I hate to say it… in many ways Ryan is Finnick Odair. He's conventionally hot, he's a gold medal swimmer, and he's become famous in a matter of weeks based on a combination of athletic prowess, raw sexual energy, odd quotes, and nightclub appearances. Lionsgate needs to nail down its Finnick very soon so filming can commence, and Ryan's already in the zeitgeist. So, could he ditch his 90210 guest spot to compete in the Hunger Games instead? Let's go over how this could work and how this could blow up in our faces.
- Boy, can he swim.
- He's got a lot of free time now that the Olympics are over; he'd love to chill in Hawaii.
- We're not gonna pretend like he won't look fantastic in just a delicate gold net knotted at the crotch.
- We already know how much people bitch about eye color when casting books, and while I couldn't tell you the exact color of Ryan's eyes, he does roughly fit the “bronze hair”/”sea-green eyes” combo.
- He's already perfected the “bro” persona—while Finnick isn't quite that fratty, he definitely plays dumber than he actually is.
- Marketing gold and cross promotion win.
- He can't act.
- If he were willing to pee in the Olympic pool, you know he won't refrain from relieving himself in the Arena waters.
- If he really does only have one night stands like his mom said, then he won't be able to muster up the emotional intensity to express Finnick's love for Annie Cresta.
- We worry about him making a move on Jennifer Lawrence, Jena Malone, and Stephanie Leigh Schlund; even though they'd have enough self-respect to reject him, it would make things uncomfortable on-set.
- Committing to filming these movies for the next three years would put a major dent in his Olympics training for the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.
- You know that they're going to incorporate “JEAH” as Finnick's catchphrase.
We have to just hope that this will never actually come to pass because, all physical resemblance and athletic ability aside, we need someone with acting talent to play Finnick. There's just way too much at stake with this character, who will appear in Catching Fire and both Mockingjay movies, to entrust it to some athlete. Even a gold medal winner.