Entertainment

The Awful Truth Is That Peaches Geldof Might Have Died As A Result Of Juice Cleansing

By  | 

Peaches Geldof attending Samsung Galaxy launch September 2013When someone dies at as young an age as twenty-five year old Peaches Geldof tragically did yesterday, there are bound to be questions of foul play involved. Particularly since her own mother Paula Yates died of an accidental heroin overdose in 2000, speculation was rife on the internet that drugs had been a contributing factor in Peaches' death as well.

But even though we don't have autopsy results to refer to, Kent Police are insisting that the tragic death was both ‘sudden' and ‘unexplained', given that no illegal drugs or suicide note was found in the investigation. Which leaves us back at square one, grasping at straws to get some idea of what happened. And one of those straws happens to be the theory that juice cleansing may have contributed to her death.

I didn't realize this until today, but apparently Peaches was known for adhering to an extremely strict, almost fanatical diet, often subsisting on three juice-only meals a day for up to a month. At least according to a 2011 interview she gave to OK Magazine:

“I do diet – I do juicing. You juice vegetables and then you drink it three times a day. It’s gross. I do it usually for about a month. I have no will-power but with the juicing I’m like: ‘I have to do it because I have to lose this extra ten pounds.’ I’ll lose it and then I’m back going mental for the chips. I juice and then I eat chips.”

Okay, so what she's describing there is binging and purging, right?

“Sometimes it’s hard. If you open any high-fashion magazine, the girls in it are stick-thin and then they’ve been air-brushed down to the point where it’s just like, ludicrousness. I have days when I wake up and think: ‘I’m so fat.’”

And given that I've seen photos of Peaches from around then and she's decidedly not fat, this could be read as body dysmorphia, right? Man, that's terrifying, especially in light of her death and the fact that a British nutritionist spoke out at the time, trying to draw attention to the fact that Peaches' diet was not only unhealthy, but unsafe.

“Surviving on fruit is a very dangerous diet. Peaches is at high risk of electrolyte abnormalities which could lead to acute cardiac arrest. It is what kills anorexics.”

Well there you have it. The exact nightmarish thought that's been in my head all day. We still don't have any answers, but the fact that this is a plausible theory is horrifying.

(Photo: Daniel Deme / WENN.com)