New York Guitar Festival
In addition to the upcoming Winter Jazzfest, New York is also hosting the Guitar Festival starting this weekend and continuing through February (January 8-February 4). You can see the full schedule here, but below are some highlights, including shows from the awesome series Silent Films/Live Guitars. If you're trying to pick one event, I recommend one of the shows where James Blackshaw is playing. His music is beautiful and he is amazingly talented.
- January 14: Silent Films/Live Guitars: Charlie Chaplin's The Immigrant and Charlie Chaplin's The Kid, featuring David Bromberg and Marc Ribot at the Merkin Concert Hall. Tickets
- January 21: Silent Films/Live Guitars: Charlie Chaplin’s One A.M. and Buster Keaton’s Cops, featuring Music by Bon Iver's Justin Vernon and Steve Kimock at the Merkin Concert Hall. Tickets
- January 26: James Blackshaw, Max Ochs, Ben Hall, and Nick Jonah Davis at (le) Poisson Rouge. Tickets
- January 28: Silent Films/Live Guitars: Charlie Chaplin’s Shoulder Arms and Fall of the House of Usher, featuring music by Alex de Grasi and James Blackshaw at Merkin Concert Hall. Tickets
- February 2: Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog and Skeleton$ at (le) Poisson Rouge. Tickets