CMJ Shows And Parties
CMJ, the awesome New York City festival a la Austin’s South by Southwest, is coming up next week, from Tuesday, October 20 to Saturday, October 24! Hundreds of bands are playing at hundreds of venues around the city. You can buy a badge that should get you in to most shows, or you can buy individual tickets to shows, or for some shows you can buy tickets at the door. I’ve posted lots of tickets for CMJ shows when they went on sale in previous posts.
There is so much going on it is hard to decide where to go and who to see. Now is your chance to catch that up and coming band at a small venue before they get huge! Below I’ve chosen some shows that I think are worthwhile, but you can see the entire schedule here. In the next week shows will most definitely be added so keep checking back. And, there are tons of “unofficial” shows too! The bands I am super into right now are in bold. Here’s the shows I recommend:
Tuesday, October 20:
- Brooklynvegan showcase at Music Hall of Williamsburg with The Walter Schreifels Band, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Wheel, Laura Marling, The Antlers, Fanfarlo at 6:30 pm.
- Nick Kerilo & the Coral, St. Helena, The Lights Out at Alphabet Lounge (104 Avenue C).
- The Selmanaires, Atlas Sound, and Broadcast at (le) Poisson Rouge.
- Dead Stars, Steve Shiffman and the Land of No, Photo Atlas at Trash Bar at 8 pm.
- Julianna Barwick, Dinowalrus, Flexions, Unnatural Helpers, The Stalkers, Golden Triangle, Harem, K-Holes, Screens at Santos Party House at 8:30 pm.
- Here We Go Magic, Titus Andronicus, Woods, Beach Fossils at Webster Hall at 8 pm. Free entry with going.com iPhone app, or $10.
Wednesday, October 21:
- The Selmanaires, Atlas Sound, and Broadcast at Music Hall of Williamsburg.
- Freelance Whales, Findlay Brown, Tigercity, Postelles, Fanfarlo, and Midnight Juggernauts at Bowery Ballroom.
- Silly Kissers, Beast, Think About Life, We are Wolves, Malajube at Arlene’s Grocery at 7 pm.
- Drink Up Buttercup, Depreciation Guild, Zaza, Ringo Deathstarr, Dinowalrus, We Are Country Mice, Surfer Blood at Cake Shop at 7:30 pm.
- ALOUD, Ribbons, Darlings, Hot Lava, Boogie Boarder, Mussels at Glasslands.
- Rough Francis, Activator, CX KIDTRONiK with Tchaka Diallo, Saul Williams at Gramercy Theater.
- Granchildren, Ninjasonik, The Very Best, and Violens at (le) Poisson Rouge at 11 pm.
- Lia Ices, Javelin, The xx at Mercury Lounge at 6:30 pm.
- Mumford & Sons, Bear Hands, Screaming Females, Team Robespierre at Mercury Lounge at 9:30 pm.
- Fool’s Gold, Golden Silvers, Suckers, Apache Beat, New Villager, We Are The World, Faces on Film at Bowery Poetry Club at 7 pm.
- Holopaw, Evan Dando, Candles, These United States, Bang Bang Eche, Bodega Girls at Pianos at 7 pm.
- Vice Party with Cold Cave and Crystal Antlers at Public Assembly at 11:45 pm. RSVP here.
- Saul Williams at Irving Plaza.
Thursday October 22:
- Paleo, Chris Denny and The Natives, Holy Sons, Dolorean, Deer Tick at Bowery Ballroom.
- Bobby Brown at B.B. King’s at 8 pm.
- Busta Rhymes, D.I.T.C., A-Trak, DJ Craze, Rahzel, Sadat X, Styles P and DJ Green Lantern, X-Ecutioners at B.B. King’s at 11 pm.
- Freelance Whales, Small Black, Hawk and Dove, Uninhabitable Mansions, Robbers on High Street at The Bell House.
- pow wow!, The Answering Machine, Kittens Ablaze, Shaky Hands at Cake Shop at 9 pm.
- Patrick Watson, Alec Ounsworth, Ambulance LTD, Hockey, Local Natives, Sean Bones at Mercury Lounge at 8 pm.
- Sgt Dunbar and the Hobo Band, Pink Noise, Little Teeth at Zebulon at 9 pm.
- Loxsley, Unicycle Loves You, Arpline, Deleted Scenes, Army Navy at Union Hall at 7 pm.
- Black Swan Green, The Idle Hands, The Shackeltons, The Teenage Prayers, The Past Times at Trash Bar at 8 pm.
- DFA Party with Yacht, Special Disco Version (DJ Set), Still Going (DJ Set), Holy Ghost! (DJ Set), Shit Robot (DJ Set) at Brooklyn Bowl. Free with RSVP.
- Taper Party with Kittens Ablaze, Motel Motel, Emanuel And The Fear, Blood Warrior, Peasant, The Loom, Thunder Power, Unicycle Loves You at Bruar Falls at 12 pm.
- Japandroids and Real Estate at Glasslands. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Vice Party with Ume, Cymbals Eat Guitars at 11:45 pm. RSVP here.
Friday, October 23:
- Ted Leo & the Pharmacists, Lemonade, Cold Cave, Harlem, Glasser, Tanlines at The Suffolk at 7 pm.
- AM only showcase at Webster Hall at 7 pm. At the Studio: Yes Giantess, Red Wire Black Wire, Vega, We Are Enfant Terrible, Body Language, Two Fresh, and Beast. Main Room: Danger, Felix Cartel, Filthy Dukes, Bird Peterson, Mickey Factz, Wallpaper, 12th Planet, Shout Out Out Out. RSVP here and admission is $1 before midnight.
- Green Label Sound party at Brooklyn Bowl at 9 pm. With Chromeo, Theophilus London, Amazing Baby, Solid Gold, and DJ set by Holy Ghost! And, free bowling from 9-11 pm. RSVP here.
- Warpaint, The xx, School of Seven Bells at Music Hall of Williamsburg.
- Common Loon, Motel Motel, Owen, Cale Parks, James Husband, Headlights, Japandroids at The Bell House.
- Apollo Run, Slang Chickens, The Depreciation Guild, Surfer Blood, Crystal Antlers at Cake Shop at 7:30 pm.
- The Queen Killing King, Chief, The Emergency Room (featuring Dan Andriano from Alkaline Trio), Superdrag at Highline Ballroom at 7 pm.
- The Fleshtones and The Bongos at Hiro Ballroom at 7:15 pm.
- Binky Griptite and The Dap Kings, Menahan Street Band, Naomi Shelton and the Gospel Queens, Budos Band at Knitting Factory in Brooklyn at 6 pm.
- Glasser, Holly Miranda, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson at (le) Poisson Rouge at 6:30 pm.
- Hungry Hungry Ghost at Living Room at 9 pm.
- Califone (performing All My Friends Are Funeral Singers) at 92YTribeca.
- Francis and the Lights, Takka Takka, Pattern is Movement, Let’s Wrestle, The Naked Hearts, Drink Up Buttercup, Bottle Up & Go, Anamanaguchi (DJ Sets) at Glasslands at 9 pm.
- Vice Party with Harlem and The Dutchess and The Duke at Public Assembly. RSVP here.
- Hercules and Love Affair, James Zabiela, Aeroplane, Shinchi Osawa at Irving Plaza.
Saturday, October 24:
- Topman party with The Almighty Defenders, Neon Indian, and Cale Parks at Root Studios (131 N.14th St., Brooklyn) at 9 pm. To get in, RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stricken City, Three and Nines, Imaad Wasif, Violens, Sharon Van Etten, Rain Machine at Bowery Ballroom.
- Pursesnatchers, The Postmarks, Still Flyin’, Au Revoir Simone at The Bell House at 8 pm.
- Sin Fang Bous and Mum at (le)Poisson Rouge at 8 pm.
- Dum Dum Girls, Moondoggies, Dutchess & The Duke, Golden Triangle, Pissed Jeans, Obits, Male Bonding at Mercury Lounge at 8 pm.
- Flexions, UUVVWWZ, zZz, Turbo Fruits, JEFF the Brotherhood, Lovvers, Dark Meat, An Albatross at Union Pool at 7:30 pm.
- Parallels, Paparazzi, Man Like Me, Heartsrevolution, Midnight Juggernauts, Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt, VV Brown, Javelin, The Golden Filter, Speech Debelle, We Have Band, Lemonade, Dan Black, Spleen United, We Are Wolves at Santos Party House at 9 pm. Free.
- My Open Bar party with Jeff: The Brotherhood, Surfer Blood, Screaming Females, Sisters at Above the Auto Parts Store (600 Bushwick Ave @Jefferson Street, Brooklyn) at 10 pm.
- Bear in Heaven, Lovvers, Soft Black, Harlem, Surfer Blood, Grooms, Savoir Adore at Brooklyn Bowl at 12 pm. Free.
- Vice, Colt, and Etnies show with Team Robespierre, The Nymphets, US Royalty, Drink Up Buttercup at Etnies Showroom (29 Greene St.) at 7 pm. Free with RSVP.
- Lemonade, Delorean, Glasser, Janka Nabay, Restless People at Pianos at 9 pm.
- Hull, J.A.C.K., No Pasaran, The Art of Shooting, Werewolves, Pink Noise, Desert Stars, Desert Stars, My Other Friend, Ivana XL, Electric Tickle Machine, Lycaon Pictus, Buke and Gass, Rumanian Buck, Kittens Ablaze, Masterface, JP Gilbert, Eula, Kill Kill Kill at Shea Stadium (20 Meadow Street, Brooklyn) at 4 pm.
I think Surfer Blood wins the prize for most shows…and I have never heard of them! If you know of any more shows or parties, put them in the comments! And, look forward to some interviews with some of these bands!