10 Moments In The New Intern Trailer That Prove It’s Not Just A Devil Wears Prada Ripoff
So, some brief background on me: I absolutely love The Devil Wears Prada. I think Anne Hathaway was at such a high point in her career at that movie, and quite frankly, anything that stars both Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci is an A+ in my book. So, when I heard about The Intern, her new movie with Robert De Niro, I couldn't help but draw comparisons. Here's how IMDB's plot synopsis describes the movie:
“70-year-old widower Ben Whittaker (De Niro) has discovered that retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be. Seizing an opportunity to get back in the game, he becomes a senior intern at an online fashion site, founded and run by Jules Ostin (Hathaway).”
Okay, so save for the whole “intern is seventy” thing, this does sound vaguely reminiscent of TDWP, and that fact that Hathaway appears to have taken on Streep's original role as Miranda Priestly doesn't really help matters much.
But guys, that's so not the case. The trailer for the movie came out just yesterday, and it looks surprisingly sweet and funny and wonderful. It doesn't hurt that two of my big Hollywood crushes are in it (HELLOOOO ADAM DEVINE AND NAT WOLFF), but their parts looks minor, and quite honestly, they're not the reason I want to see it. You know, instead of just harping on and on about why I think it's going to be so great, why don't we go through some of the best moments in the trailer that prove that it's not just a Devil Wears Prada ripoff. Sound good? Awesome.
- When Nat Wolff asks Robert De Niro where he sees himself in ten years, and I'm just like, “This is the worst and most accurate depiction of an internship interview I've ever seen.”
- When Robert (we're old pals now) responds, “When I'm 80?” and I actively lol'd.
- When Anne Hathaway walked in all Miranda Priestly-like with her sunglasses and jacket and was just like, “That's all.” (SEE WHAT I DID THERE IT'S A DEVIL WEARS PRADA JOKE. #JokeExplainer)
- What they bring up the idea of an intern program for “seniors in life,” and I was just like, “Is this my future?”
- When Robert blinks excessively at Anne's character and I was like, “Thank you for illustrating every new intern's first interaction with their new boss ever.” And then I actively lol'd again.
- When even the toddler thinks it's funny that a seventy-year-old man is an intern, because that's how people react to twenty-two-year-old interns too (NOPE NOT BITTER GUYS)
- When Robert asked the question that all women want to know the answer to: Why don't guys tuck anything in anymore?
- When this publication has a “house masseuse” and I wanted to find a way to get employed at this fictional institution.
- When the entire last minute of the trailer was actually the sweetest thing I've ever seen, and it was all very un-Devil Wears Prada-ish.
- When Anne Hathaway threw so much shade at hipsters, and I was all about it.
Watch the two-and-a-half minutes of pure charm and adorableness below!
If anyone wants to come see it with me, it comes out in September. Now accepting applications for movie-viewing buddies and/or seventy-year-old interns that look like Robert De Niro.