On the outside, celebrities seem like they have everything going for them. On the inside, however, they deal with struggles just like the rest of us. And for some, those struggles got so overwhelming that they turned to self-harm at one point or another. While certain stars have been more open about their difficult pasts than others, the following men and women have one (extremely positive) thing in common — they’ve all overcome any self-mutilation.
1. Troian Bellisario. The Pretty Little Liars actress is on top of the world right now, but she, like many other teenagers, struggled in high school. Last year, she told Seventeen that she struggled with both self-harm and an eating disorder. “I started self-harming when I was a junior,” she said. “I would withhold food or withhold going out with my friends, based on how well I did that day in school.” The now-29-year-old star credits her friends who staged an intervention for helping pull her out of that dark time.
2. Ashton Irwin. Celebrities deal with rude Twitter trending topics all the time, but when the hashtag #AshtonPleaseCutYourselfAgain popped up a few weeks ago, everyone was understandably disgusted. While that phrase is NEVER okay to say to anyone, the 5SOS guy has actually battled self-harm in the past (he apparently stopped for his fans), and encouraging him to start again just takes ‘sick’ to a whole new level.
3. Demi Lovato. When it comes to personal struggles, Miss Lovato has been beyond open with her life. The 22-year-old singer famously went to rehab for self-harm, an eating disorder and multiple other issues back in 2010, and has since shared her story hundreds of time. After being bullied as a child, Demi started cutting herself at a very young age. “It was a way of expressing my own shame, of myself, on my own body,” she told ABC News. “I was matching the inside to the outside. And there were some times where my emotions were just so built up, I didn’t know what to do. The only way that I could get instant gratification was through an immediate release on myself.” While it’s still an everyday battle, Demi has stopped self-harming and even got the words “Stay Strong” over the scars on her wrists as a constant reminder.
4. Megan Fox. While Megan doesn’t consider herself a former ‘cutter,’ she admitted to Rolling Stone that she has self-harmed in the past. “I don’t want to elaborate,” the actress said. “Girls go through different phases when they’re growing up, when they’re miserable and do different things, whether it’s an eating disorder or they dabble in cutting…” The actress has also been open about the fact that she has low self-esteem, which may have contributed to her actions in the past.
5. Johnny Depp. JD is known as being one of the most sought-after actors in Hollywood, but he didn’t always have the confidence that goes with being a star. The actor has admitted to having many insecurities as a teenager, but didn’t cut himself with self-harm in mind. Instead, he has a series of eight scars on his arm that he used as pseudo markers. He told Talk magazine, “It was really just whatever…It wasn’t like, ‘Okay, this just happened, I have to go hack a piece of my flesh off.;” He continued, “My body is a journal in a way. It’s like what sailors used to do, where every tattoo meant something, a specific time in your life when you make a mark on yourself, whether you do it yourself with a knife or with a professional tattoo artist.” While Johnny has continued getting tattoos, he no longer reaches for a knife to commemorate significant moments. The actors says he’s the happiest he’s ever been and is finally “so close to the light.”
6. Angelina Jolie. Angelina has openly talked about her dark past, including how she used to cut as a young teen. “I was..trying to feel something,” she told Access Hollywood almost 15 years ago. “I really hurt myself. I was nearly in the hospital. I was just a kid. I was like 13…and I understand that it is a cry for help.”